The Zonta Club of Sydney held its Annual General Meeting on Wednesday 15th May 2019. During the meeting we heard from our outgoing President, Dr Kerrie Bigsworth, about another successful year, as well as our committee chairs who tabled reports.
During the AGM we also voted in our new board and executive positions. We welcome Joanna Quinn as our new club President, to be ably assisted by Vanessa Cook as our Vice-President. Treasurer will be Judy Williams, and the directors of the board for the upcoming year are Ruth Wylie, Gail Conder, Trish Rydge and Susan Copeland. As always, we trust our board will continue to lead us in our advocacy and service programs to assist women.
The Zonta Club of Sydney has enjoyed another great year. And although we would never like to boast (well not a lot anyway!) some of the highlights of the year which Kerrie reminded us of were –
- We continue to support women with scholarships and awards – including our awards for Nursing and the MBA at UTS, a scholarship for a student studying science or technology at The Women’s College at Sydney University.
- We have established a new award, in the name of Elizabeth Todd, past president and District Governor, at the Sydney Eisteddfod
- Our advocacy committee continue to support and be a member of the Keeping Women out of Prison coalition, including being actively involved in the annual Empowering Women, Changing Lives breakfast held at Parliament House
- Our fundraising and events committee has had an excellent year, with wonderful events such as our theatre night, Abbey Bookshop evening, Christmas Dinner and our recent inaugural Jazz in the Crypt evening – raising funds to support our service and awards
- Provision of 420 breast cushions for women recovering from breast cancer surgery
- Funds raised for our upcoming birthing kit packing day sufficient to pack 600 kits
- We have established this website and our social media channels to keep raising the profile of Zonta and to provide information about our activities and aims
All in all a wonderful year and we look forward to the 2019 – 2020 year with our new President and executives at the helm!